True or False
- Spiders are insects
- ‘Arachnid’ just means spider
- If it has 8 legs then it is a spider
- All spiders make webs
- A daddy-longlegs is a type of spider
- All spiders have fangs and can bite if they want to
- Spiders live in all parts of the world
- All spiders are male
- You will see most spiders in late summer
- You are always within 1 meter of a spider
Scroll down for the answers:
- False, they are arachnids.
- False, ‘Arachnids’ doesn’t just mean spider. Other arachnids include scorpions and ticks. Spiders are just one type.
- False, all arachnids, not just spiders, have 4 pairs of legs.
- False, all spiders make silk but only about half of them make a web. Others hunt or wait for prey.
- False, ‘daddy-longlegs’ means harvestman (not a spider) or crane fly (an insect).
- False, spiders all have fangs but they rarely bite humans, but that isn’t because their fangs are too small; most could bite if they tried.
- False, spiders live in all parts of the world except Antarctica.
- False, spiders can be male or female and the female spider is usually bigger than the male.
- True, but only because spiders move into warmer environments (ie your home) as the weather gets cooler.
- Depends! How close the nearest spider may be does, in fact, depend on where you are. If you are standing on a lawn then you can assume that spiders are under your feet. If you are in the middle of a car park then the nearest spider could be many meters away.